City-Wide Change Management
ACORD has extended its services beyond structured organizations, to bring about city-wide change for good governance and civic service delivery, through ‘Large Group Dynamics’ involving multiple stake-holders, through fully participatory processes.
Since 1999, ACORD has been working closely with Govt. of Delhi under the “Bhagidari” project (“Citizen-Government Partnership”) on Water, Power, Sanitation/Solid-Waste Management, Safety & Security, Traffic, Environment, Education, Social Welfare, Women’s Issues, Health, Sales Tax, VAT, Senior Citizens, & Industrial Estates. ACORD has provided design, consulting, and facilitation services, utilizing “Large Group Dynamics” with multi-stakeholder groups.
- As a result of the results achieved, the “Bhagidari Initiative” received the first prize in 2005 from the U.N. in the shape of the United Nations Public Service Award (for Transparency, Accountability, and Public Service) out of 215 entries world-wide. This is the first time any project from India (state or center) has won the U.N. Public Service award.
- Earlier, it also received a commendable citation from the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration & Management (CAPAM - U.K) in 2002 (as a semi-finalist reaching the top 30 projects from all submissions around the world);
- ACORD designed and conducted the first “Future Search Workshop” in 2004 for Delhi Government to focus on the “Future of Delhi: 2010”. The workshop involved full participation of the Chief Minister, and a cross section of Ministers, MLAs, MPs, representing Delhi, Civil Service officers from Delhi and the Centre, officers from NDMC, DJB and MCD, NGOs, Resident Welfare Associations, Market Trader Associations, Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Students from Universities and schools, Eminent Citizens, Retired Professionals, and Corporate Executives to build up “ownership” to change the future, and help “discover common ground”, for agreement on city improvement goals to be achieved by 2010.
- ACORD designed and conducted the “JAIPUR 2010: FUTURE SEARCH WORKSHOP” for the Rajasthan Government, to achieve citizen’s partnership in governance and development for the capital city of Jaipur, Rajasthan. As a result of this Future Search, a ‘Jaipur Agenda Action Group’ (JAAG) has been set up to monitor and guide the implementation of specific projects in this initiative, under the direct review of the Chief Minister of Rajasthan. As a follow-up ACORD provided its services to the Govt. of Rajasthan in building citizen’s partnership in governance (“Sahbhagita”) for achieving city-wide change in Jaipur, through “Large-Group Interactive Process workshop”.
- Over the last 7-8 years, ACORD has conducted more than 100 “Large-Group Interactive Process workshop” workshops, and several “Future Search Workshops” for different organizations, including central and state government organisations, and Industrial Organisations, Educational Institutions, and Governments, smoothly bringing about change without resistance, and integrating different cultures and stake-holders seamlessly.